Saturday, May 12, 2007

Sleprieved

I just heard something outrageous. I'm watching the Canadian news and some supposedly educated person said that the thing which separates Canada from the US is the Canadian sense of humor. In my experience Canadians have no sense of humor. People like Mike Meyers, Jim Carey etc. etc. etc. are the exception rather than the rule. How presumptuous.

I'm finding myself extremely intrigued by the history of France. Especially during the French revolution. I don't know why, but that whole period is quite fascinating. I'll have to read more about it.

-----

posthumous comments (though no one has died...)

It is now Monday afternoon, but due to travel, Mother's Day, sleep deprivation, and Canadian Border Control I haven't been able to wrap up my week, before I do put a neat little button on my time in "northern Ontario" I'd like to suggest a trip to Paradise Bakery and Cafe. There are at least two in Utah and they have the BEST tomato soup. I don't really even like tomato soup, but theirs is spectacular, so find one and get the soup...and a cookie. Now to round out the week:

I had another unexpected "don't worry about it" moment. There's a burger place across from the Holiday In where we were staying, so I went there for dinner on Friday. I ordered their chicken on a bun sandwich and a delightful butter/sugar/heart-attack-in-a-pastry dessert. The total was about $7 Canadian. They don't take cards. The man behind the counter explained he could take American cash, but I rebutted that I was only in possession of about $3.67 Canadian. He said, "Well, I guess that'll be ok, don't worry about it." So I got dinner for less than $4.

The Sudbury International Airport, located in Sudbury, Ontario, is probably the smallest airport I've ever seen. Even smaller than Cedar City - I know it doesn't sound possible. They had a total of 4 vending machines, 3 doors, and one toilet. They weren't even big enough to sell postcards. We flew from there to Toronto Saturday night, and spent the night in the Holiday Inn Airport which, for future travel information, contains a 24 hour Perkin's restaurant.

Sunday morning was...early. Our flight left at 6:40 a.m. It was an international flight so we had to be at the airport two hours early - 4:40. We had to catch the shuttle from the hotel that would get us to the airport on time - 4:05. Which means I woke up at about 3:45. When we arrived at the airport we had to stand in line for US customs (on the Canadian side you go through customs before leaving Canada, which would mean that there are parts of all major Canadian airports that are technically US soil - unfortunately Verizon hasn't been informed of that yet)...it wasn't a long line, but due to our early arrival at the airport, customs wasn't open yet. Apparently we left on the first flight of the day.

No upgrades this weekend either. Luckily there were no large people to sit next to either, so I was comfortable in coach, comfortable and slumbering.

On the flight from Atlanta to SLC they had no milk.

2 comments:

Tara said...

I love that the final comment of the entire post was about a lack of milk. You ARE random...

Anonymous said...

Reading your blogs is the highlight of my day. :-)