Friday, May 11, 2007

Not a lengthy visitor

This will however, be a lengthy post, so be forewarned.

First, some venting, and then some good old-fashioned observational humor.

When people come to our events then encounter a large sign in the hallway that says "Internet Conference," we also have an 8' table cloth that says "Internet Conference," these items are accompanied by a small pile of brochures all declaring "Internet Conference." Why is it, then, that people invariably say "Is this the uh...internet conference?"

Secondly we give name-tags to everyone. They are the "Hello, my name is..." type, only ours say - you guessed it - "Internet Conference," but they're the hand-written type none-the-less. I write the names and hand the tags to the guests. I generally get three responses: 1 - Thank you. 2 - Where do I put this? 3 - What do I do with this? Response one seems reasonable and expected. Response 2, a little out of the ordinary, but I usually just say "Right there," or "Wherever you want." Response 3, however, is enough to make we want to go postal. What else would a name-tag be for?
I heard the song "Mockingbird" twice today. You know the one - "Mock, ya! Ing, ya! Bird, ya! Mock-ing-bird ya!" Two different times, two different artists. Who knew someone would deign to remake such a song!

A woman told me that I look like David Hyde Peirce. I've heard Robert Downy Jr. a number of times, but never Mr. Peirce. I was intrigued, but flattered.

It wasn't until a guest pointed it out today that I noticed, but our speaker sounds remarkably like George W. Bush.

My legs are entirely too sore today. I have trouble walking downstairs, and they say one should lift with the legs, and not the back, but that has become quite a difficult task today. I suppose that just means I'm going to have - as my friend Andrea would put it - "The legs of a Greek God."

I'm starting to learn new html codes, and they're quite fun. I may have to implement them more in future blogs. Keep your eyes peeled. There may be a prize involved...

I'm reading Charles Dicken's A Tale of Two Cities and I love it. This is my third Dickens novel, and I'm completely infatuated. I'm next going to tackle David Copperfield. It's rather large, but my friend Isaac recommended it to me. He said most people don't care for it, but it's his favorite. I'm taking it on vacation. And now, I'd like to share my favorite paragraph from A Tale of Two Cities:

"Monseigneur could swallow a great many things with ease, and was by some few sullen minds supposed to be rather rapidly swallowing France; but, his morning's chocolate could not so much as get into the throat of Monseigneur, without the aid of four strong men besides the Cook.
Yes, it took four men, all four a-blaze with gorgeous decoration, and the Chief of them unable to exist with fewer than two gold watches in his pocket, emulative of the noble and chaste fashion set by Monseigneur, to conduct the happy chocolate to Monseigneur's lips. One lacquey carried the chocolate-pot into the sacred presence; a second milled and frothed the chocolate with the little instrument he bore for that function; a third, presented the favoured napkin; a fourth (he of the two gold watches), poured the chocolate out. It was impossible for Monseigneur to dispense with one of these attendants on the chocolate and hold his high place under the admiring Heavens. Deep would have been the blot upon his escutcheon if his chocolate had been ignobly waited on by only three men; he must have died of two."

I love that. Absolutely brilliant.

2 comments:

Launi said...

gregory dear, i love reading your blog. it's good to hear about all of your adventures!

by the way, david copperfield is my favorite dickens as well, so i definitely encourage that. :)

Anonymous said...

Four men feeding ME chocolate? Yes please! :-D