Monday, April 16, 2007

Landscape variation

Update:
My audition went really well. Three of the big dogs from the company were there to listen to me and they had lots of good things to say. They were very impressed with how prepared I was. I didn't feel all that prepared, so that made me laugh a little. One of them at the end of everything said "Ya know, you're just a natural born speaker." They did say that I look really young, but I knew that going into the audition. So, they suggested that I do everything possible to appear older - meaning that I now get to dress ultra conservatively. Dark suits, conservative ties, starched shirts, main-stream shoes (I refuse to wear penny loafers). All rather depressing. I guess I'll just have to fully express myself on my weeks off. What all of this means is that I made it past the first part of the process. I now get to memorize an hour and half's worth of material and audition with that. If I make it past that, I go out for a week as a speaker in training, and then I'm official, so good times and great oldies.

Returning slang: ducky. A woman in the airport today responded to an inquiry regarding her state of being with that word. I think we should all make a valiant effort to bring it back.

Alberta is different from Manitoba in that there is variation in the horizon. There are some mountain peaks visible in the distance, and there are several hills in the area. It is, however, still brown. Apparently growing season in Canada is rather short.

Several things have made this trip to Canada more pleasant than the last. The first of which being that I was the first person through customs and immigration, so it only took a few moments, rather than an hour. Secondly from my hotel window I can see the roof of the restaurant below and watch the pigeons flirting.

It's supposed to snow from Wednesday through Saturday in Calgary. Luckily we have a ski rack on top of our rental van, so we're prepared.

I've come to the conclusion that my life as a 'sales rep' is characterized by conference rooms, generic bed-spreads, and nondescript minivans. Every rental van I've experienced - even internationally - has been either silver or gold. We can't even get a bright red minivan to spice things up, let alone a bright yellow hummer.

3 comments:

Tara said...

I've also heard it as a Pronoun--"Well, ducky, I think we'll win this one yet!" Try that on for size!

And I'm pleased to learn that the whole of Canada isn't terrible. Relieved, really :)

Anonymous said...

Flirting pigeons are ducky. :-)

Anonymous said...

I like this "ducky" word, though I am unclear on the meaning. I imagine though, that I have been feeling quite ducky lately.