Thursday, April 5, 2007

Speaking of...

Today was SO much better. So much to talk about - where to start.

This morning a fascinating woman came to the show. She was an 84 year old German woman. She lived in Germany during WWII. Great story. Her husband was a POW in Russia, and both he and his parents lost their homes in the war. So she waited for him to return from Russia and then they moved to Canada. Awesome. My manager offered everyone standing at the registration table a seat, but she said "No, we're young." Love it.

We saw a total of 13 people today - all day. This ended up being ok. Why? You may ask - well let me tell you. I got to give the presentation tonight. We decided we wanted to leave early, so because of the small number of people they let me give the schpeel. It was only 10 minutes worth of the basics, but it was still fun. Not my best effort, but good to have a chance to get out the bad stuff before I audition. I think tonight was the closest I've ever come to feeling stage fright. I can empathize with people who don't want to get up in front of people. It was an odd feeling.

About 90% of the stores I see as we drive down the street look like adult merchandise stores. This is because of the neon signs and caged windows. It might also be because places like Mr. Lube have slogans like "Doing it Right. Before your eyes." - what?

Another upside of the day - we found some people who have a sense of humor. It was rather refreshing.

Because of my 10 minute mini-presentation, we got done in time for a movie. We went to "Blades of Glory" it was hysterical - slightly crass, but it's Will Farrell. I've discovered something because of this movie - John Heder really isn't that great of an actor. He basically just has one character. This character should have different, but really wasn't. It was slightly disappointing.

There are LOTS of foreigners in Canada.

Bea Arthur is on TV right now - she looks terrible.

As I was preparing for my speaking debut I was pacing the hall reviewing what I would say in my head. At the end of the hall there was an awkward moment occurring. I heard the phrases "tearing our marriage to pieces" and "you shouldn't be here" all in tears. My heart when out to the woman on one pass of the door when I heard her cry with all her heart "I just want to hug you!" There was so much anguish in the moment, I just felt bad for her.

But I still don't really like Canada.

4 comments:

Angie said...

this reports as made me not feel so bad about never being to Canada. I'll just meet the Canadians that live in America.

I'm Batman said...

I've never really had a desire for Canada. Thanks for keeping the longing far away.

Tara said...

Congrats on being "Speaker for an Hour." Delight! And can I say this was one of my favorite posts...don't know why, but it was.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad for two things-- that you finally found people with a sense of humor, and that you realized that Jon Heder isn't worth the investment but Will Ferrell is. Good job. :-)