Friday, April 20, 2007

Snowy with a chance of snow

The pigeons outside are still flirting, except for the few that are lying dead in the snow...(TAPS plays softly in the background...)

It's a week and a half away from May and the snow has been falling for 3 days - I never want to live in Canada.

On a happy note, I discovered that Denny's delicious pancakes taste the same in Canada.

I'm currently reading a fantasy book. I won't mention the name but it's about 500 pages long, and let me just say, and this goes for all literature, that aside from J.R.R. Tolkien and any work translated from an actual language, if your book takes a language guide to understand, don't bother writing it. It just makes the reading more tedious and irritating. I would enjoy a work of fantasy much more if all names, creatures, places, other languages, and mystical objects/incantations were simply spelled phonetically. Can I get an amen from the congregation?

Elevators are awkward, I really just don't think there's any way around it.

I haven't really met any intriguing people this week. Of course I've been sort of absorbed in my reading, so I haven't been too keen on talking to people, which is something I should really do, but I digress. The most entertaining persona of my week has been my manager. He's an ex-cop, ex-husband, ex-resident of Utah county, and highly amusing. He talks like a cowboy, wears aviator sunglasses, and shops at Buckle. His favorite phrase this week is "Whateva hooka" which he picked up from yours truly. He has less patience for people than I do, and less sympathy when dealing with them...unless they have small children. He gets his paperwork done quickly and enjoys the potato skins from the restaurant in the lobby - as we all do.

I'm now going to share something with all of you that is a close, personal subject (no, Mom, not that one...). I'm really excited to be a speaker, but I'm a little nervous. I don't doubt my speaking abilities and the fact that I'm young doesn't bother me. What I'm worried about is my almost total lack of experience. Even as a lowly sales rep I get some pretty tricky questions, but in this position I can just refer people to the speaker or the manager. When I'm a speaker I feel like I'm supposed to be the fount of knowledge for these people. I guess maybe I'll just have to stop reading frivolous material and start reading some concrete internet/sales stuff - boo.

At least I'll always have Winnipeg...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It snowed here in Utah, too. Boo.

And can you get an amen from the congregation? Yes! Amen! :-D

Leah said...

AMEN! I have quit reading many a book for that reason. Also, "Greg the Fount of Knowledge" really makes me laugh for some reason...