Tuesday, August 21, 2007

I burned 671 calories this morning

Continental breakfast is an enigma to me. Why did they pick the term 'continental'? Which continent does this particular series of breakfast items come from? Is continental just a euphemism for 'free'? If so, why do they say 'complimentary continental breakfast'? That's like saying ATM machine. Perhaps these are some of the mysteries of life that will never be fully resolved, like the disappearance of settlers from Roanoke Island, the life of Jack the Ripper, or how they cram all that graham.

This video made me pee a little in my pants. Thanks Ellesse!



Carolyn was wearing three sets of wedding bands on her ring finger. The only thing I can surmise from this is that she's been married three times, and is either a polygamist with three husbands, or is just weird and doesn't get rid of her rings after getting divorced, but just adds another one on. Chalk one more up for Carolyn!

I get to hear some interesting conversations in my line of work. Most of them make me laugh, but I heard a rather saddening one during the registration process this morning. A young man had been pushed into a pool at a party by a friend and had consequently broken his foot. Rather than practicing forgiveness and realizing that accidents happen, he no longer talks to either the friend who pushed him in, or the friend that owns the pool. The couple he was talking to this morning was encouraging him to sue for damages. I think it's so sad that something so small can turn into something so big and ruin relationships.

Obnoxious question of the week - "How much can I make with a website and still stay on disability?" - seriously?

Here's a delightful passage from David Copperfield (yes, I'm still reading it.):
'Deuce take the man!' said my aunt, sternly, 'what's he about? Don't be galvanic sir!'
...'Go along with you, sir!' said my aunt, anything but appeased. 'Don't presume to say so! I am nothing of the sort. If you're an eel, sir, conduct yourself like one. If you're a man, control your limbs, sir! Good God!' said my aunt, with great indignation, 'I am not going to be serpentined and corkscrewed out of my senses!'
I wish people would verbally assault others with such alacrity nowadays. It would make life so much more interesting! And though I shouldn't, I absolutely love the phrase "Good God!"

My speaker had his luggage inconveniently misplaced by the airline, consequently we had to make a quick emergency trip to Wal-mart last night. So now, along with the molestache, he wears a shirt with a collar that is at least an inch too big making him look...well, creepy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That movie reminds me of a certain awkward scene in drop dead gorgeous...

Tara said...

Mr. Colbert is an American treasure. Seriously...

Anonymous said...

I was having a bit of a sucky day today until I watched that video and read your blog. Thank you for brightening my life in such a pleasant way. :-)

Anonymous said...

ha! that video is awesome!

Janell R. Cropper said...

That movie was about 10 times better than Napolean Dynamite's dance. Seriously. That was wonderful! Thanks!

Leah said...

My 3 year old and I laughed heartily and watched that video 5 times in a row. If I enjoy it as my son, does that say something high of him, or low of me?? Strictly rhetorical, don't answer.