Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Life as a normal person...

I am constantly intrigued by people's need to feel like they are attractive. We had an older woman come this morning who was a disaster. If she had been in her twenties, her outfit might have been ok. The fact is, she was not in her twenties and her outfit, though the right size, didn't quite fit. On top of this she no longer had holes in her ears, she had notches. So, being a resourceful human being, she taped her earrings on from the back - two in each ear, one pair was dangly.

Ya know how life is a series of peaks and valleys? I think I'm in a valley today. Not a depressing valley full of heartache and anguish - oh no, I'm not in Canada this week - but a valley of serious reflection. I don't feel boisterous or playful. Verily, this may be a time when I do not, in fact, feel like dancing. It's odd.

My Boss was in town today to visit. He's not that much older than me, and he's a really nice guy, but that's always intimidating. Fortunately, I think he likes me.

-----

(later that day)

Down the road from our hotel is a Goodwill Superstore. I went. I bought a sweater. If I didn't have to board a plane on Saturday I would now also be the new owner of a fantastic piece of luggage and a green briefcase.

Ok, so apparently my valley was rather short-lived, or perhaps it was just a dip because I currently do feel like dancing. I took a walk after lunch and I think it might have been the fresh air.

I think pizza places in Oregon are like churches in Utah, or Mexican restaurants in Cedar City. For those not accustomed to those analogies, let me just say they there's one on every corner.

We had a 3-hour drive (cue Gilligan's Island music) to Coos Bay tonight. I spent the time in a car with a talkative Latino. This is not good because when I get tired I get a little cranky, and therefore am more easily irritated. I survived, though, and handled the situation as tactfully as could be expected - by staying mostly silent.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sure like you. You rock. :-)

Tara said...

I always picture you moving down the streets of these "far off places" with the top part of you staid and stoic while your feet are dancing like crazy. Odd...but it sort of works.