Monday, September 3, 2007

Speaking of which...

I did it...it was fantastic. Now normally this presentation takes about an hour and fifteen minutes to an hour and a half - I finished in about 45 minutes. I don't know how that happened. I wasn't talking all that fast and I covered everything I was supposed to. Anyway, I felt really good about it even though the result wasn't exactly stellar. Not bad for my first time. I even got a couple of compliments.

Our presentation tonight was in one of the most run-down hotels I've been to in quite a while. They had Styrofoam cups for water. We used the wall as the projection screen. It was just funny.

The last couple of times I've been to a restaurant I've ordered a specialty-type drink and said "Can I have that with my meal?" Both times they've brought it out well before the meal. Am I really being that unclear?

I realize that the food they serve you at restaurants isn't going to look like the picture, but tonight I was especially disappointed in how different the actual food was from the picture. It really was kind of a let down.

Bonus - we're staying at the same hotel all week, which means no unpacking and re-packing, I can just chill in my same room for 5 days straight. I like that.

Now, I get to go back to being a regular old sales rep. We'll see if anything comes from this speaking stuff. If not this blog may cease in its current form...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It amazes me how often restaurant servers don't honor simple, clearly-stated requests. How many times do I have to say, "Could I please get those loaded mashed potatoes WITHOUT sour cream?" Honestly-- clean out your ears, people.

Leah said...

As a former waitress, I must say that you are not being unclear. I think the problem is that servers don't write down special requests and then they forget and the cooks forget, etc, etc. Try this, "Could you jot down that I want that drink to come out at the same time as my meal?" Congrats on your speaking. You should get a specialty drink to celebrate.